Spinning reels are one of the most common types of reels. They also offer a shorter learning curve than their counterparts. However, while learning to use a spinning reel may be relatively simple, discerning which fishing lines work best for your specific needs when using a spinning reel can feel more intimidating.
What are the best fishing lines for spinning reels? The best spinning reels are measured by material, breaking strength, thickness, and price. In addition, an angler’s individual is a factor in defining the best. We used these qualities to narrow down to the 10 best fishing lines.
While there is no perfect brand or perfect style of fishing line for a spinning reel, by being introduced to these highly-rated fishing lines, you are more likely to accurately asses your needs and find the best fit for you. Be sure to keep in mind the species of fish you’ll be looking to catch, as well as what kind of tackle you’ll be using so that you match the line to the tackle.
Let’s introduce you to our top 10.
The Best Overall Braided Fishing Line
Power Pro Fiber Line
- Spool directly from the box
- Built-in cutter
- Package protects the remaining line
PowerPro has released yet another stellar product, this time a heavy-duty, incredibly strong braided fishing line, perfect for your spinning reel. Not only does this line come highly recommended, but it is great for both saltwater and freshwater use. If you don’t mind paying a pretty penny for a line, this line will more than get the job done.
- Long Time Trusted Brand – PowerPro is a reliable brand with excellent customer service, and their products are always high-rated.
- Extremely Strong – this line is made to hook large fish without breaking, and it does a mighty fine job of it. Its braided Spectra fiber has been fortified and treated to enhance the integrity of the line and to round out the smoothness and shape.
- Sensitivity – While this braided strong, it is thin and light, which makes it impossible to miss even the slightest of bites on the line.
- Different Length Options – We’re talking anywhere from 150 yards to 3000 yards.
- American Made – This isn’t a priority for everybody, but for some, products made in the U.S.A are an added bonus.
- Easy to Cast – its lightweight, the thin line makes the act of casting feel truly effortless.
- Price – If you aren’t out there trying to fish long (say 1500 yards) and you aren’t hoping to catch a 150 pound Marlon, then maybe the price won’t hit you so hard. But if you are planning to do an extreme, weight-intensive fish, then you’ll be slammed with this $400+ price. However, you might argue the quality and strength is more than worth it.
The Best Line for the Price
KastKing’s Premium Monofilament Fishing Line
- LOW MEMORY – KastKing mono is made with...
- ABRASION RESISTANT – You can now take on a good...
- SUPERIOR CLARITY PLUS COLORS – Rest assure that...
A very popular style of fishing line, the monofilament, has met a new level of durability in this KastKing’s premium fishing line. It is silky smooth, beautifully rounded, and ensures a very easy and long cast. It is easy on the wallet, but without sacrificing quality.
- Paralleled Rock Track – this technology ensures that the line won’t disappear into the spool, and it is easy on spool memory
- Easy to Operate – This monofilament line is lithe and agile, making it exceptionally easy to tie knots. It’s perfectly round, making it mellifluous, meaning you can guarantee on easy, super long casting.
- Versatile – this line is capable of catching crappie fish, bass, trout, etc. It’s great in both fresh and sea water.
- Abrasion Resistant – when fishing with this line, you don’t need to worry about fishing in murky waters (unsure what foreign objects could rub against your line) as this monofilament has superior abrasion resistant technology.
- Super Hydrophilic – thanks to its thin diameter, this thin mono line cuts through water fast. Super important when doing long distance casting.
- Not Meant for Heavy Catch – The only real downside to this otherwise very lightweight, yet hearty line, is that it is limited in its catch abilities. While customers reported being able to catch up to twelve-pounds on the ten-pound mono line, you won’t have much luck catching your real big catch (no giant tuna for you!)
The Best Monofilament Line
Berkley Trilene Big Game Spool
- Shock- and abrasion-resistant monofilament fishing...
- Extreme fighting power for big game fish
- Exceptional strength, reliability, and value
Berkley is another reliable brand known for their remarkable craftsmanship. When in doubt, you can rest-assured most lines from this brand are going to be some of the best there is. This line combines the trademark Berkley excellency combined with the technology that make monofilament lines the most popularly used. For this reason, the Berkley Trilene Big Game Fishing Line ranks as the best monofilament line for spinning reels available, especially when looking to catch big game fish.
- Ultra-Smooth – Perhaps the most immediately noticeable feature on this big game mono line is its silky smoothness, which ensures that you can cast, literally, miles. It’s ultra-smooth, super round fibers also help to resist twists, and succumb to knots better.
- Super Strong – While it’s indicative of a mono line to be strong, this particular line is designed to be even stronger than its normal counterparts. We’re talking more control, dependability, and the adaptability required to wrangle superior fish. You’ll notice how much stretch it affords, and how well it absorbs the shock that occurs when fighting massive sized specimen.
- Shock & Abrasion Resistant – As I mentioned above, this line is incredibly shock resistant, and its superior-strong design means that it will resist damage that could occur due to the exposure of jagged or irregular objects.
- Fresh & Saltwater Capable – You can use this line to chase after bluefish, salmon, bass, steelhead, etc. Great in both fresh water and saltwater.
- Relatively Inexpensive – One of the most exciting things about this line is how budget-friendly it is considering you are getting a super sturdy product. You can get a huge amount of line for pretty inexpensive.
- Somewhat Excessive Memory – Unfortunately, there is a downside to this otherwise exceptional line, and that is that your Berkley big catch mono line has less excessive memory that the standard monofilament line. This means, when you leave it in the coiled shape in your spinning reel spool for long periods of time, it can start to wear on the castability of the line. This is obviously really important, and it means that this line is a little more high-maintenance since you’ll want to use it consistency so it doesn’t hold the shape of the coil, or you may have to find a way to store it in an un-coiled position (which sounds annoying to have to think about.)
The Best Line Made of Teflon
Spider Wire Super Fishing Line
- Sleek and durable braided fishing line designed to...
- Strong, smooth, and round Dyneema polyethylene...
- Color-Lock coating technology holds in color and...
We’re coming at you with yet another superior and reputable brand, especially notable when it comes to braided lines. SpiderWire has formulated a stealth super line that is particularly strong and ultra-smooth, providing you with an incredibly accurate cast, capable of long distances. If long casts are important to you, this is the reel for you!
- Super Thin – This line has a super thin diameter, which means you can fit even more onto your reel than the average line. It also means you can bank on smooth, effortless casts for miles. You can guarantee you’ll have a easy and fun experience, bereft of those often irritating recoils.
- Strength – The Teflon treated microfibers make this braided line mega-strong. It exceeds in fishing in heavy cover and has the necessary power required to catch large fish species. Good for up to 30-50 pounds (up to 1500 yards).
- Sensitivity – While this is typical of most braided lines, it is nonetheless true for this one, the braided design means you can feel everything, even the smallest of bites of the very tip of the line. It’s anti-stretch technology also ensures a more sensitive feel.
- Anti- Color Fading – Extra-coats have been added to this line to help prevent color fading.
- Some Memory – Only downside to this line is that it can be somewhat prone to twists and kinks in the line.
The Best Line For Versatility
Piscifun Braided Super Strong Fish Line
- Superior Abrasion Resistance and Durable - Powered...
- Strong Knot Strength - Unmatched strength fiber...
- Faster Cutting Water - Unparalleled smoothness and...
This Piscifun braided line was created to reduce the frustration of using anglers with a spinning reel. It is superior in power, sturdiness, silkiness, casting distance, knot tying, and is abrasion resistance (oh, is that all??) No, that’s not all! This is also one of the most versatile lines you can find on the market (coming in a wide selection of colors, strength, and lengths.)
- Versatility – Unlike some braided lines, this particular PisciFun line comes in a cornucopia of colors, flexible strength, and lengths to suit any kind of fishing condition (whether that’s freshwater, seawater, ice water) and whether you are hoping to catch bluefish, trout, bass, walleye, musky, crappie, king fish, etc.
- Strength – Thanks to its polyethylene fibers and superior braiding techniques, this line has supreme amount of strength (ranging from 10 pounds all the way to 150). The level of weight naturally determines the amount of braid strands (ranging anywhere from 4 strands to 8 strands of braids.)
- Lightweight – Not taking away from its strength, this line is very thin, meaning its smaller profile and diameter create smooth, rounded lines, which means an easier cast (no backlash). It is liable to travel faster through the water, and it is exceptionally easy to tie knots.
- Durability – the braided line has been coated with a new kind of epoxy technology, which makes this line abrasion resistant as well as making it more difficult for fish to fall of the line.
- Low Memory – This means your line isn’t going to stay coiled in its position of your spinning reel
- Color Fading – This line doesn’t have extra coats of resin to protect the line from the sun’s harsh UV rays, so it is liable to experience some color fading.
The Best Line for a Smooth, Easy Cast
Berkley Triline XL (6-pound) Fishing Line
- Smooth Casting – Resists twists and kinks
- Strong – Incredible strength for confidence and...
- Versatile – Outstanding for a wide variety of...
Berkley knocks it out of the park yet again with this monofilament line that is superior in the smoothest, easiest casting you’re likely to find on a spinning reel. Incredibly durable and strength, it also exhibits high levels of sensitivity, making your fishing experience very easy. Good for fresh and saltwater.
- Silky Smooth – this is hands down, the best feature about this mono line. It is incredibly smooth, meaning it will launch effortlessly and will go far with zero strain. It knots very easily, as well.
- Strength – This tough line allows you more control when chasing after large catches in murkier cover. It’s also quite abrasion resistant.
- Low Memory – When I say low, I mean barely existent, meaning you can avoid those twists and kinks that make for difficult casting.
- Color Fading – This line, while not necessarily ‘prone’ to fading, does not have the extra coats or technology one might desire to further prevent color fading from occurring.
- Short Life Span – Unfortunately, a few costumer reviews did report having to replace this line soon after use, which is not ideal, especially if you purchase a lot of line (you don’t want to be out $185 dollars for a one use line).
Best Monofilament Line for Strength
Stren Original Monofilament Spool
- UV GUARD extends the lifetime of your line
- The perfect balance of strength, toughness and...
- Superior knot and tensile strength to land big...
What sets this Stren original mono line apart from its competition is its sheer strength. It is durable, abrasion resistance, it’s easy to tie knots, and has a small memory. You can look forward to easy casts, and thanks to this line’s unique UV coating, you don’t have to worry as much about color fading.
- Strength – one of the toughest monofilament lines on the market, this Stren spool is fully equipped to fight and catch large fishing species. It is also fairly abrasion resistant.
- Anti- Color Fading – to combat the color affecting exposure of the sun’s rays, this stren line is superior in fighting off color fading, meaning it is a mono line more likely to last longer than others.
- Reduced Memory – you can look forward to easy casts, free of line twists and kinks.
- Versatility – Where this line is found lacking is that it is not particularly versatile.
The Best Braided Line, For Strength
Sufix 832 Braided Super Line
- 8 Fibers (Featuring one GORE Performance Fiber and...
- Ultimate Abrasion Resistance
- Unbeatable Strength
This Sufix line is called “superline” for a reason. It is truly one of the top braided fishing lines for spinning reels thanks to its unparalleled strength, anti-color fade properties, and easy castability. It’s hard to top when you consider the high-quality matched with its reasonable pricing.
- Strength & Durability – This line can hold anywhere from 6lbs to 80lbs! Its irregular strength comes from its clever construction (it is formed using eight different fibers: one singly GORE fiber that is abrasion and vibration resistant, and seven Dyneema fibers, to give the line it’s strength and ultra-sensitivity. It is a braided line you can rely on when fishing in waters near rocks and other abrasive objects.
- Smooth – This line is smooth as butter, thanks to the R8 braiding technology suffix invested in. It skates through the water with shocking ease.
- Long Lasting – You can guarantee the use of this line for anywhere from 2-3 years (which is incredible).
- Color Fading – This is another line where you can expect some color fading, due to its lack of UV protection.
The Best Hybrid Fishing Line for Spinning Reels
Yo-Zuri Hybrid 600-yard Fish Spool
- Extremely Abrasion Resistant
- Molecularly Bonds Fluorocarbon And Nylon
- Denser, Tougher More Sensitive Line
This Yo-Zuri line is hands down the best hybrid fishing line for a spinning reel. It has the nylono monofilament aspect, paired with the fluorocarbon fibers. This mashup gives the Yo-Zuri fishing line the top-notch abrasion resistant and sensitivity levels of the fluorocarbon fibers while enjoying the flex of the nylon material.
- Strength – The hybrid line makes for a strong an durable line. It has minimal stretch and high levels of sensitivity, and its knot strength it unreal. All and all, this makes for a pretty exceptional spinning reel line. While you won’t get to catch super large fish, this line can carry anywhere from 6-40 pounds.
- Neutrally buoyant – That might not even be high on your list of priorities; however, a perk of this hybrid line is that it will not absorb water or sink. Making this line excellent for crank baits, chatter baits, spinner baits, and top of the water lures.
- Not For Deep Fishing – due to its high level of buoyancy, this particular line will not work in deeper fishing conditions (as the line is made to float near the top of the water.)
- High Level of Memory – The other downside to this hybrid line is the high level of memory the line has, which can lead to twists and kinks in your line, making for an annoying casting experience.
The Best Fluorocarbon Fishing Line for Spinning Reels
Sunline Super Fluorocarbon Fish Line
- Extreme abrasion resistance
- Excellent for heavy cover applications
- Uniform line diameter
Many people have been switching from mono lines to fluorocarbon lines due to its improved properties as of late. It is incredible durability and is ideal for a spinning reel. This particular Sunline Super Fluoro line is without a doubt the best Fluorocarbon fishing line for your spinning reel.
- Super Smooth – due to its triple resin coating, this 100% fluorocarbon line is so soft and supple you’ll want to rub it all over your face. It is easy to use, and typing knots feels effortless.
- Abrasion Resistant – This is one sturdy line that is ideal for heavy cover fishing so that you don’t have to stress about this line being sawed in half but jagged rocks or other risky objects.
- Price Point – Unfortunately, fluorocarbon lines are rarer than monofilament lines, and thus can run expensive. However, the upside to this is that they are such high-quality lines, that they were arguably worth the money.
- Twist & Kinks Prone – Since this line is very firm, its lack of giving can sometimes lend itself to unwanted twists in the line. You can hopefully avoid this by stretching the line out or using a good quality conditioner to better train it.
Key Take Away?
Fortunately, there are a plethora of excellent fishing lines for spinning reels today, and now you are educated in the top 10 of these. Whether you prefer a monofilament line, a braided line, a fluorocarbon, or even a hybrid, you can rest assured that whatever your fishing needs are, there is a line for that. Be sure to pay attention to the amount of weight any given line can manage, as well as what the memory on each line is (as it’s more ideal to avoid high memory lines, so as to not have to stress over twists and kinks down the road.)