You may have gone fishing confused with the type of fishing line to use. Indeed, there are many types of fishing lines on the market.
You use a specific line on situations. But to many anglers, the best mono fishing line is their go-to gear when fishing.
Not only is it sensitive and robust, but it also works on various fishing styles.
To guide you in picking the right brand, we will break down five of the best mono fishing line that you could choose.
Why use the best mono fishing line?
A monofilament fishing line, or called mono fishing line, is a single strand of a specific material. Nylon is the most common material for a mono fishing line. Because of its simplicity in terms of construction, the monofilament fishing line can offer a lot of uses. I personally use this fishing line because it is easy to handle on various fishing situations.
Its ease of use can come from the fact that it is flexible, and that it could stretch more than other fishing lines. By being flexible, you could cast it easily. And thanks to its stretchability, you could prevent your hook from tearing a hole into the mouth of the fish.
I also use the mono fishing line because of its knot-friendly capability and excellent shock strength. A mono has great knot ability. It means that you could use various knots on it without sacrificing its strength.
In terms of shock strength, the mono has an excellent ability to absorb energy. It behaves differently beneath the surface, allowing you to catch more fish.
This feature sets it apart from other fishing lines such as fluorocarbon and braided fishing lines.
When to use a monofilament fishing line?
Because of its features, I could actually use a mono fishing line in various situations. Here are some instances where you could use a mono.
- Primarily, you could use this fishing line when you are fishing with topwater baits. Due to its propensity for slow-sinking and its shock strength, you could use a mono fishing line to strike on topwater lures and other applications.
- I use this fishing line when fishing with reaction lures like spoons or crankbaits. It is because it has more stretch as compared to other lines such as fluorocarbon or braid. Moreover, the mono can withstand the shock of a hard hit better. You would not have any problem using reaction lures with this fishing line.
- When you want to cast farther than usual, you could also this fishing line. Apart from its strength and stretch, which makes it an excellent option for long casts is its abrasion resistance.
- For anglers who are into trolling, you may use monofilament. I have used one when I tried trolling and it works. The monofilament fishing line has the strength for hooking trophy fish even if the boat is still moving.
- Of course, you cannot deny that the mono fishing line works well in general fishing. We all know that this fishing line has been around for ages, and the fact that we still use it until now offers a reason why it is still a great choice.
How often should you change your monofilament?
To answer this question, you need to gauge how often you go fishing using this line. Anglers who use it most of the time may have to change or replace it regularly. Underwater stress could cause abrasions and cracks all over your line.
Moreover, constant exposure to the UV rays of the sun would easily degrade its integrity. If you do not change even though you use it frequently, there’s a greater risk in fishing as your line might break.
Hence, it is important to inspect your line regularly. See if there are wears and tears. If you see any abrasions, you should already change your line immediately.
To maintain the integrity and performance of your fishing line, I suggest that you replace it once every six months.
If you want to keep your lines a little longer, I suggest you follow these tips. It is also ideal that you store your line out of the sun to hide it from the harsh rays of the sun.
Also, always rinse your rod after fishing to remove any excess salts after each use.
What to look for in the best mono fishing lines?
Before you choose the ideal mono fishing line, you should first have an idea on the features to investigate when scrutinizing through these products.
To give you a clue on what to look for, I have identified the things that should be present in the best mono fishing line.
Ease of Use
Make sure that the product that you are going to purchase is easy to use. Generally, a mono fishing line is easy to handle. However, a great fishing line would exceed what you already know about fishing.
First of all, you should be able to ties your knots easily. Moreover, it should have decreased visibility so that it would look invisible when it is cast underwater.
Next off, the line you choose should be strong and robust. Not all lines are designed to catch big fishes, so you should pick the line that could take the weight of your catch.
To gauge the strength of your line, you would have to get the weight that the line can hold from the ground. You must match the rating to the mass of the fish you want to catch so that it would work out perfectly.
Often, anglers forget that the diameter of the fishing line would have a great impact on catching a fish. While the strength of the mono fishing line plays a great role, the diameter could also affect your performance.
Therefore, you should ensure that the diameter of the line should be thin yet firm. A thinner diameter would relate to its decreased visibility, making it difficult for the fishes to see it.
But do not compromise the thinness to its strength. Make sure that there is still a balance between these two elements.
Resistance to Abrasion
Finally, you must make sure that the line that you will choose is resistant to any abrasion. Abrasion resistance could be related to the strength of the line. Your fishing line could be damaged by the bite of the fish, or when it rubs on rocks. If your line could resist any abrasion, you could still have a seamless fishing experience without having to resort to having your line damaged.
- LOW MEMORY - KastKing mono is made with Paralleled...
- ABRASION RESISTANT - You can now take on a good...
- SUPERIOR CLARITY PLUS COLORS - Rest assure that...
Kicking off our list of the best mono fishing line is the KastKing Premium Monofilament Fishing Line. It features soft and supple lines that are easy to ties into knots.
With its soft feature, your lures and baits could have a vivid motion, especially when in water.
The lines do not sink into the spool and it has less spool memory. Aside from being soft and supple, this line is round and silky smooth.
This assures you that you could easily cast long distances.
This mono fishing line has features which work well in fishing bass, crappie, and trout.
It also works well in saltwater fishing. Being resistant to abrasion, you would not need to worry when you are fishing in heavy cover. Instead, you would have carefree fishing experience, thanks to this line.
– It cuts into the water fast.
– It is strong enough to hold knots and fish.
– The line is resistant to abrasion.
– It has a thin yet durable diameter.
– The line tends to be flimsy and brittle.
– It tends to snap during the cast.
– It is a weak line for surfcasting.
- Shock resistant mono filament fishing line
- Ideal combination of strength, durability, and...
- Specially designed to land hard hitting species
I also recommend the Stren High Impact Monofilament Fishing Line for its shock resistance for hard-hitting species.
It is durable and well-suited to any saltwater pursuit, whether it be coastal fishing, bay fishing, or bluewater fishing.
With a remarkable combination of durability, impact resistance, and strength, this line is able to deliver the type of performance you need for serious offshore and coastal fishing.
This line works well with spinning, casting, and trolling reels. The memory of this line could last a year.
Moreover, it is invisible and strong enough that you would feel comfortable using it when fishing. You would never go wrong with it when you will be fishing.
– It is durable and invisible.
– It works well for inshore saltwater fishing.
– The line could help catch trophy fish such as bass.
– It is a decent line for the price.
– The line tends to be weak.
– It often snags in the fishing rods.
– The line tends to twist too much.
- Shock- and abrasion-resistant monofilament fishing...
- Extreme fighting power for big game fish
- Exceptional strength, reliability, and value
One of the best mono fishing line on the market is the Berkley Trilene Big Game Monofilament Custom Spool. This is an extra tough fishing line that is resistant to any abrasion.
You could control the stretch, giving you an edge over other fishing lines. It is also shock-resistant, ensuring you that it would not break easily.
This line has an impressive knot strength. The diameter, on the other hand, is very thin.
These two features could be of great use to improve your fishing experience. The features add fighting power to your setup.
The durable material holds strong against sharp or rough objects, allowing you to fish for longer periods.
– It is great for the bottom and cheap fishing.
– It works well in catching large fishes.
– It works great for its price.
– It is resistant to both shock and abrasion.
– It has a thin diameter.
– It has lots of memory.
– It tends to break after backlashes.
– It is stiffer than other lines.
- Smooth Casting - Resists twists and kinks
- Strong - Incredible strength for confidence and...
- Versatile - Outstanding for a wide variety of...
The Berkley Trilene Smooth Casting Monofilament Service Spool is another good choice. This smooth casting monofilament is able to resist kinks and twists for optimum control. It has a sensitive design to feel strikes and structure. It also has remarkable strength for control and confidence in fishing.
It is versatile enough for use with various fishing techniques and a number of baits. In addition to this, this line holds up well around the grass. It does not seem to stretch even when fighting a snag. You have the opportunity to choose various colors depending on your preference. The color choices include green, clear, blue, and low visibility green.
– It is ideal for freshwater fishing.
– It has low memory for smooth casting.
– The color hides well in the water.
– This is a durable line for tough fishing.
– The color tends to come off.
– The line tends to tangle itself.
– This fishing line tends to snap when casting.
- KastKing - the ICAST 2015 Award winning brand,...
- KastKing DuraBlend Monofilament Leader is...
- Delivering extreme fighting power, KastKing...
Completing our list is the KastKing Durablend Monofilament Leader Line. This line has been designed to be durable and abrasion-resistant.
The material features excellent knot strength, great clarity, and incredible shock strength. Because of its quality control, it would remain soft and flexible while maintaining a high tensile strength-to-diameter ratio.
This line further features low memory characteristics. With a smaller line diameter, you would have more reel capacity for fighting hard-charging game fish.
With its innovative packaging, you would have a tangle-free and easy to use line that you could maximize in water.
Because of its durable material, it tends to sink faster than any other fishing line.
– It works well for saltwater and freshwater fishing.
– It has low stretch and memory.
– This fishing line has a small diameter.
– It could also work well for surf fishing.
– It tends to break at the knot.
– It is not effective at absorbing energy.
– It tends to get tangled.
With its performances and features, I think that the Berkley Trilene Big Game Monofilament Custom Spool is the winner of this roundup. In comparison with other products, this product beats others in terms of shock and abrasion resistance. Unlike the other best mono fishing line, this product works well in various fishing environments.
So, whether you are fishing in seawater or freshwater environments, it would deliver an excellent performance. Not only is it easy to use, but it is strong and durable as well. The features which are present in this fishing line tops the rest on our list.