If you buy via a link on this page, we may receive a commission, at no extra cost to you.Learn more
If you’re familiar with bass, you know that they are always looking at the surface of the water for something to eat. With prey sitting on top of plant matter, they see the movement and make their attack. This information is incredibly helpful for bass fishing because it presents clear opportunities for bass to make their way to the surface and give you the chance to catch them.
Topwater frog lures serve as great bait for bass fishing because the bass is quick to react to the “frog” moving slowly at the surface. When they latch onto this frog, you’ve caught your bass! We’ve pulled together the best topwater frog lures to make your bass fishing experience more successful!
The 10 Best Topwater Frog Lures
Topwater frog lures can vary in size, type, and appearance so you to choose which works best for your fishing location and desired fishing style. This list brings you the best overall topwater frog lures, which include a variety of features for you to select from.
RUNCL Topwater Frog Lures
- Lifelike Design: High-resolution body detail,...
- Excellent PVC: The frog lures are produced with...
- Perfect Angle Sitting: The core of gravity for...
- Lifelike Design
- Excellent PVC
- Perfect Angle Sitting
- Weedless Design
This RUNCL Topwater Frog Lure 5-pack is a recommended purchase because it provides you with a variety of topwater frog lures. This includes frogs with life-like legs as well as ones with tassels to use in different fishing environments. You can experiment with the different types to see which is most effective in catching your bass.
All are designed to be realistic with specific frog features, such as 3D eyes, vivid coloring, and body shape, in order to trick the bass most effectively into striking the surface. The lures are also designed to balance on the surface and in plant matter properly, as to appear if they are living frogs.
- Frogs are coated in a film that mimics the taste of a frog for more effective latching by a bass
- Fishing hooks are designed into the stomach of the frog, allowing for better contact with the fish and limited snagging on surface plants
- The attractive price point for multiple frog lure options
- If one type of frog lure is not effective, you are left with a couple of unused products in the 5-pack
- The movement of legs in the water could be improved for greater life-like features
Booyah Pad Crasher Topwater Frog
- PAD CRASHER TECHNIQUE: Hollow-body frog perfect...
- BODY CONSTRUCTION: Body is structured enough to...
- TOPWATER LURE: Mocks the frog apperance for hungry...
- Pad crasher technique
- Features a super-strong double hook and spinnerbait-style legs
While the Booyah Pad Crasher frog lure only comes with one lure, it is one of the best performers in the category. It is a hollow-body frog lure and has been successful in not only catching bass but avoiding plant debris in the process. This means you can take it through thick weeds without the problem of hooking it as you move the frog across the water.
The hooks on the frog are located close to its body, allowing a good sink into the bass and remaining weedless in many fishing areas as we mentioned. They come in a wide variety of colors, depending on preference and fishing conditions. We recommend this product for its value while allowing anglers to successfully catch bass.
- This is a quality frog lure at an attractive price point so you can buy multiple for different fishing conditions
- Spinnerbait-style legs move through the water in a frog-like fashion to lure the bass successfully
- Different color schemes and realistic designs are effective for different fishing conditions and for maintaining a life-like appearance
- Frogs tend to fill with water after a couple of casts, which can cause them to drop slightly below the surface
Livetarget Hollow Body Frog
- Package length: 14.732 cm
- Package width: 6.604 cm
- Package height: 2.794 cm
- Weightlessly Gliding Left And Right Across The Surface
- It Has All The Attributes To Attract Big Fish
- Anatomical Accuracy, Detailed Color, And Effortless Action Make This A First To The Market
- Use The Hollow Body In Heavy Cover
The Livetarget Hollow Body Frog lure comes in multiple sizes to help you successfully catch a variety of bass. If you are looking to catch larger fish, you’ll want to go with a bigger size. They come in multiple colors for different fishing conditions, so the bass can easily see the frog.
With a life-like design to look like a real frog, the frog lure also features a hook design that will prevent plant debris from being picked up. This hollow body frog does not easily fill with water after multiple uses like many other hollow frogs. Regardless of the water, the frog will still float and can be easily squeezed out.
- Strong balance and realistic features allow for many successful catches of bass thinking the frog is real
- Very easy to move along the water in all directions without catching weeds or other plant coverage
- These frogs are not the most durable for lots of casting but are effective in the time they do last
- Some find the legs to be a bit long, making it more difficult for the fish to grab onto the frog
Lunkerhunt Lunker Frog – Freshwater Fishing Lure with Realistic Design
- ✅ PERFECT FROG LURES for BASS FISHING, TROUT and...
- ✅ LUNKER FROG (bull frog color) is the MOST...
- ✅ AWARD WINNING frog lure by ICAST- BEST top...
- At rest, the body of the Lunker frog drops down a little into the water perfectly replicating the action of a frog/bullfrog
- The Lunkerhunt Lunker Frog is the most life-like frog currently available in the industry
- Used primarily for bass, pike, and musky in freshwater
- High-quality components, a super soft hollow body construction, and a weedless design
- An essential addition to any tackle box
The Lunkerhunt Lunker Frog is one of the most realistic-looking frogs that replicate the movements of a frog (swimming legs that will extend with movement and retract when stopped). This makes it more likely that a bass will be lured to the surface. The soft hollow body makes it easy for bass to clamp down on and hook design for weedless topwater fishing.
The frogs also come in a variety of colors to best mimic frogs in different environments. These should be chosen based on the fishing conditions and frogs that may be local to your area (although this is not crucial). We recommend this frog is you are looking for a hyper-realistic design.
- It performs highly across all categories: design, frog movement, weedless design, small size, and lightweight
- The unique features and design not only make this an effective lure but also very entertaining to use
- These are one of the more expensive frog lures on the market, especially if you lose it with a broken line
Supertrip Topwater Frog
- They create life-like swimming actions in water!
- This bait is made of super soft yet durable...
- In open water the Frog can be easily worked in a...
- They create life-like swimming actions in water!
- This bait is made of super-soft yet durable plastic that is made to easily collapse for a solid hookset.
- Length: 5.45cm. Weight: 12.3g
- Included in the Package: 6pcs baits.
The Supertrip Topwater Frog lures come in a pack of six, giving you many backups once your frogs have worn out after many casts. Their soft body and spindly legs make them lightweight to easily glide across the water, mimic the movements of a frog, and make it easy for the bass to sink in on the hook.
Their design also keeps them from catching weeds and plant life as they skim across the water, allowing you to use them in almost all fishing conditions. These frogs are quite small and come in a variety of bright colors with white bellies.
- They are lightweight for quick movement in the water but still heavy enough to cast a long line
- A strong value choice as they are effective considering their low price point
- They are great lures for early mornings and evenings when the sun isn’t at its peak, and the bass needs a bright belly to see
- All of their bellies are white which is best for cloudier or darker skies and may be hard for the bass to see in bright light at the surface
- You will need to squeeze some water out of them after use, but they are durable for multiple casts
Spro Bronzeye Frog 65 Bait-Pack
- The most enticing colors
- Perfect size and style to be fished in heavy cover...
- Specially weighted to land on its belly
- The most enticing colors
- Perfect size and style to be fished in heavy cover or in open water
- Specially weighted to land on its belly
- Designed to cast long distances
- Hookups are great
We recommend the Spro Bronzeye Frog lure if you fish in waters with incredibly thick plant life. They thrive in these thick conditions without picking up vegetation as you drag them across the water. With long streamer legs, they replicate the movement of a frog, and the lures are designed to always land on their bellies to improve successful casts.
Of all the frogs we recommended, this lure comes in the widest variety of colors, offering over 30 choices. This helps to find a frog that will work for all weather and water conditions.
- Their weight distribution allows them to land properly and be cast far distances for larger-range fishing
- The hooks are close to the body of the frog but well-designed to increase hooking success
- These frogs are designed to excel in heavy plant conditions as well as open water
- These are a fairly expensive lure, making it an investment especially if one is lost
- This frog can fill up with water after multiple casts causing it to sink
Strike King KVD Sexy Frog Bait
- Sealed nose
- Free floating rattle
- For open water and heavy cover applications
- Material type: Plastic
- It features a fully sealed nose to minimize water entry and a free-floating rattle for excellent sound emission
- This bait was designed and approved by Kevin VanDam for open water and heavy cover applications
- It’s the perfect bait for great topwater frog action
The Strike King Sexy Frog lure is one of the most popular among frog fishers because it provides lots of helpful features to successfully catch bass. Many frogs have a tendency to fill with water, but the closed-nose design on this lure helps eliminate that issue. The lure will also do very well in open water and areas with lots of vegetation.
Realistic design and coloring are also important to attract bass. With streamer legs that will move like a frog and a detailed paint job that is durable, we recommend this frog as an all-around high-quality bass fishing topwater lure.
- You can cast this lure over long distances and drag it through vegetation without it getting caught
- This frog has a higher strike success rate than many other frogs on the market
- Legs may be a little long, but they can be trimmed for your desired needs while fishing
BOOYAH Pad Crasher Topwater Bass Fishing Hollow Body Frog Lure with Weedless Hooks
- Perfect for those times when you need more surface...
- Windy days, thick slop and finicky fish that have...
- Great for fishing the slop, but with the cupped...
- Super-soft collapsible plastic body
- Weedless topwater lure
- Double 3/0 Hooks
- With the cupped mouth, it also doubles as a popper/chugger in open water
We already showed you the traditional Booyah frog lure, but the Poppin’ Pad Crasher takes frog fishing to the next level. The unique popping technology with a cupped mouth gives it even more realistic features as it bubbles and creates more commotion when moving across the water. We recommend this frog for a more sophisticated frog fishing experience.
The lure comes in multiple colors for you to determine based on water and weather conditions. It is still a soft hollow bodied frog that will make it easy for bass to latch onto when they latch on.
- The combination of the popping technology with a soft body creates for more successfully bass catching
- A significant amount of water movement increases the realism of a frog’s movement and behaviors
- The design and popping technology will increase the weight of the frog and make it heavier than more traditional frogs
- Their primarily white bellies may be difficult to see in brighter conditions
Livetarget Frog Popper
- Package quantity: 1
- Country of Origin: Switzerland
- No batteries required
- 2012 ICAST “Best of Show” winner
- Combines the action of a popper with the proven fish-catching frog patterns
- Features a feathered tail hook
Livetarget also offers the popping feature with its Livetarget Frog Popper. This design varies from the other frog lures in that it features a feathered hook as opposed to one that sits very close to the body. This will help to hook the bass as they chomp down over the frog. The hooks are very sharp, and the body is realistic to attract bass in all conditions.
The popping features will cause a lot of movement in the water to get both small and big bass’ attention. This frog lure has even won awards for its effectiveness and is recommended for open water and clean water conditions.
- The frog lure comes in different colors to give you choices based on weather conditions
- The feathered hook is unique from many other frog lures and is very sharp to successfully catch bass
- The popper technology makes frog fishing even more realistic than the traditional models
- The feathered hook will not do well in areas with high vegetation as it will accumulate debris quickly
- They are one of the most expensive frog lures on the market
Lunkerhunt Popping Frog Fishing Lure
- ✅ POPPING FROG creates AMAZING TOPWATER ACTION...
- ✅LIKE a REAL FROG SWIMMING with LEGS EXTEND &...
- ✅HIGH-QUALITY FEATURES: The Popping Frog...
- The Lunkerhunt Popping Frog calls fish in by creating a surface disturbance
- Its concave face catches water, causing popping and spitting noises
- Its super soft hollow body compresses quickly under the slightest amount of pressure
- When it does, sharp high quality upturned hooks are ready for the hookset
- It can be worked along edges, through grass, in pockets, and on open water
This design is very similar to the hollow body traditional frog lure, but the Lunkerhunt Popping Frog gives you that extra splashing and popping with a cup-shaped face. You can choose from multiple colors for different weather conditions, and the leg movement, while the line is pulled, is one of the most realistic on the market.
We recommend this frog if you want to combine great design with the real-life movements and actions of a frog. The bass will be easily attracted to this model. You have a variety of size options depending on the size of bass you hope to catch.
- These are a great option for open water when more movement is required than traditional frogs
- Bass will be easily attracted to this frog for its life-like features and design
- The popping mouth design can actually get caught in vegetation, making it harder to move through the water
Types of Top Water Frog Lures
When choosing a frog lure, there are different kinds, as we have discussed throughout our recommendations. There are three primary types of frog lures used for bass fishing:
- Hollow Body Frogs: These are the most traditional frog lures and are incredibly popular. Most of the frogs on our list have a hollow body, which is easy for the bass to bite down on and then sink into the hook. You should use these in areas that have heavy plant coverage as they can easily glide across the water.
- Popping Frogs: These can come in both hollow bodies and hard plastic, but their primary feature is that they have a cup or ridged mouth that aims to replicate the bubbling and commotion a frog might make in water beyond leg movement. Their hook type may vary depending on the material of the frog, and they are usually smaller. These are best used in open water when you need to make more of a scene to attract the bass.
- Hard Plastic Frogs: These are the heaviest of the frog options, and we didn’t include them on our list because they are not the best for catching bass. They may be effective for some anglers, but the ones we listed are our top picks. These have hanging hooks that make them better for open water.
The type of lure you choose should depend on the body of water you are fishing in and the weather conditions. You should also be considering the color of the belly when picking a frog. The top color choices are white, black, and natural colors (greens and yellows). These will be dependent on the fishing conditions and changed appropriately.
When to use a certain lure belly color:
- White: White lures are best in lower lighting and in overcast or cloudy weather. It will be easier for the bass to see if the surface of the water is darker. White bellies also look like live frogs or other fish that are used as bait.
- Black: You should use a black lure for brighter days as they are easier to see when looking toward the light. If there is thick vegetation, this dark color will also penetrate through, allowing the bass to easily keep track of the lure.
- Natural: You should use a natural-colored belly when there is less vegetation, and it can be more easily spotted by a bass.
The top side of the frog is less important, but it should look like a real frog.
The 10 Best Topwater Frog Lures
Frog fishing for bass can be one of the more exciting ways to cast a line and watch as the fish jump to the top of the water to latch onto the frog. This method has also proven successful to catch more bass!
When choosing your topwater frog lure, we recommend the Lunkerhunt Lunker Frog for its incredibly realistic features and the Strike King Sexy Frog lure because it is an all-around top performer across all important categories: design, weight, weedless technology, and versatility.
All of the lures offered on our list will give you great opportunities to catch some bass. They differ slightly in features depending on your needs, but will all help make your topwater fishing experience more fun and fruitful.