Three Tricks That Will Catch Fish Anywhere

Share on facebook
Share on twitter
Share on linkedin
Share on pinterest

Ever wonder why some people are catching fish while others go home empty? Some people will tell it’s luck, but I am about to show that luck has little to do with it. It’s been said that 25% of anglers catch 75% of the fish caught, and 25% of the remaining fish caught are by the other 75% of anglers. This is because those 25% of anglers know the tricks that work. I am going to show you three of them.

Of course, there are a lot of factors involved in fishing, and one of them is finding the fish. That comes with knowledge, research, and scouting.  But just finding them is not enough. You have to trigger their instinct to attack. This first method is modified from a technique used by commercial long-line fishermen for a long time. It’s called the Fish Finder Rig. Some fish, especially crappie and bass, get picky about what depth they prefer to eat at, even though they will still be near the bottom, and structure. This rig allows you to present two baits with one rod, at slightly different depths, and will trigger the attack mode because two minnows swimming together means an easy mouthful. Catching two fish at a time is not uncommon with this rig. Here is what it looks like:

catching two fish at a timm

As you can see, all you have to do is rig two 10” dropper loops with hooks and minnows about 12” to 18” apart. Tie the bottom loop about 1’ from the bottom, and the second loop about 2-1/2 feet from the bottom. clip one end of each loop to make the leaders (you can also use 3-way swivels, but its a lot more trouble) and tie on your hooks. And egg or bell sinker on the bottom lets you maintain bottom contact, and keeps the hooks up out of the debris. Drop the line to the bottom, then reel in the slack. Now, just tightline fish and hang on…

The next trick lures bass and crappie to you with decoys. Get a large clear plastic soda bottle (2 or 3 liters work great). You can also do this with a large glass jar. Remove all the labeling so that it is transparent. Punch some small holes in the top and upper sides for water circulation, and to let the minnow smell out. Now, place lake or river water in the bottle, add 5 or 6 minnows to the bottle, replace the cap, and tie a small rope around the neck. Now, just lower the bottle into the water where you are fishing, and fish near it. Predator fish will see, and smell, what is apparently an unwary school of minnows, and will stalk them. They can’t get at the minnows, but they can attack the minnow on your line…

attack the minnow

The last trick is great for moving water, such as in a river, or in the tailraces below dams. It works for catfish, white bass, stripers, crappie and walleye.  Rig two bucktail, or marabou jigs about 2’ apart, approximately 3’ or 4’ below a float. It helps to have a longer rod for this, because you will have some loose line to cast.  Now, just cast the whole rig upstream and let the current carry the float, and the jigs downstream. If the float sinks, stops drifting, or moves sideways….set the hook, hard!  Catching two fish at a time like this is very common. If your line gets a ways downstream with no hits, just reel in (but be ready, sometimes fish will hit this on the retrieve as well) and recast upstream for another drift. You can also use live bait with this set up, but jigs stay one the hook better.

jig the hook

Check back with us often for more great fishing tips……


Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Related Articles


Hi! I’m Steven!

I am an avid life long fisherman, having caught over 25,000 fish over the years. My life-long passion for fishing began when my father taught me how to fish at the age of ten. I started to share my extensive knowledge of all things fishing.

LEGAL INFORMATION is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to and affiliated sites.

Scroll to Top